Estimates range however most likely a 3rd of Mac customers select to make use of the Chrome browser on their Apple gadget for some reason why. If that’s you, you can have the benefit of the following pointers.
Get round rapid
Similar to Apple’s superb Safari browser, Chrome at the Mac has a variety of keyboard shortcuts that are meant to let you get issues achieved.
Be informed those first:
- Command-Shift-n: Opens a brand new browser window in Incognito mode (Chrome’s solution to Privateness mode in Safari).
- Command-L: Highlights textual content within the cope with bar.
- Command-T: To open a brand new tab.
- Command-W: To near the present tab.
- Command-Shift-T: Closed a tab you didn’t imply to near? Do that command to reopen the last-closed tab.
- Command-Shift-B: Use this command to open and shut bookmarks.
- Command-y: Open the Historical past web page.
Make it larger
If you’ll’t learn the textual content, take a look at Command and the plus key to extend web page zoom dimension, or select Command and the minus key to shrink it down.
Pin that tab
Simply as in Safari, you’ll pin tabs in Chrome. To take action, simply right-click at the tab and select Pin Tab. Use the similar elementary series to unpin the tab while you’re achieved with it; simply select Unpin Tab.
Put order in tabs
Press the Command key whilst deciding on a couple of tabs in Chrome and you’ll drag them throughout concurrently within the browser. This comes in handy for when you need to open a few of your energetic tabs in a brand new browser window.
Cycle thru tabs
This works the similar on Safari and Chrome: Cling the Command key and make a selection a bunch (eg. Command-1) and you are going to open the primary energetic tab to your browser. It is a neat technique to impulsively slip between tabs. To leap to the final tab select Command-Nine.
Your particular Spacebar
Faucet the Spacebar as soon as to scroll all the way down to the following viewable segment of a webpage, or faucet Shift-Spacebar to scroll up once more. (This additionally works on Safari).
simply open your entire present home windows
Otherwise to spice up efficiency when the use of a internet browser is to surrender and restart the browser from time-to-time. The snag is that while you achieve this you lose your entire energetic pages. Right here’s what to do:
- Kind chrome://settings and glance to the On startup
- You’ll in finding 3 possible choices: Open the New Tab web page; Proceed the place you left off; Open a selected web page or set of pages.
- Choose Proceed the place you left off and the following time you relaunch your browser all of the pages you left open to your final consultation will probably be to be had.
- In Apple’s Safari browser you’ll set this up in Safari>Personal tastes>Basic the place you must set Safari opens with to All Home windows from Remaining Consultation.
in finding home windows you will have open somewhere else
In the event you log in to Chrome, it is possible for you to to try all of the browser home windows you will have open in Chrome on your entire different gadgets. (Safari’s integration with the Mac additionally allows you to do that.) To perform this on Chrome, practice those steps:
Choose Historical past>Display Complete Historical past and make a selection Tabs from different gadgets.
You’ll set Chrome up to make use of other search engines like google and yahoo in reality simply. Open Chrome Settings (from the Menu or kind chrome://settings) and within the Seek Engine segment select Arrange Seek Engines.
You’ll now input a seek engine’s identify (DuckDuckGo), a key phrase (similar to Dgo) and a related URL, similar to www.duckduckgo.com.
Once you have this correctly setup when you want to use your alternate search engine in Chrome you can just type the keyword Dgo and the phrase or word you want to search for, eg: ‘dgo tim cook on privacy’ will open a search for Tim Cook on privacy in DuckDuckGo.
You can create multiple search engine shortcuts.
Find the experimental features
You can access whatever features are currently in public development in the browser by typing chrome://flags in your address bar. You’ll be given a list of all the experimental features currently being developed that you can enable in your browser, though you should beware that some of these features may change or break.
What to do when Chrome freezes
If your Chrome window or tab freezes up, just navigate to your Task Manager (tap the three dots to the top right of the browser, select More Tools and then choose Task Manager) and find the problem tab(s)/window. Select this and then tap End Process. The tab should close and your system should become a little zippier.
How to clear the cache
Most Mac users know that when their Safari browser slows down it’s usually a good idea to empty caches and clear out those cookies. Chrome is no different, and while this means you’ll need to log into your sites and services again, you will at least have a slightly spritelier browser.
- Open Chrome>Preferences
- In the Privacy and Security section tap Clear Browser Data.
- Tap this and change the Time Range to All Time.
- Ensure Browsing History, Cookies and Cached images are all checked.
- Tap the big blue Clear Data button.
Please follow me on Twitter, or sign up for me within the AppleHolic’s bar & grill and Apple Discussions teams on MeWe.