A building employee in america state of Massachusetts was once killed by way of his liquorice dependancy, medical doctors say.
The person, who has no longer been named however was once 54 years previous, ate about one-and-a-half baggage of black liquorice on a daily basis.
He had suffered no signs earlier than abruptly going into cardiac arrest in a quick meals eating place.
Describing the person’s case within the New England Magazine of Drugs, his medical doctors mentioned the glycyrrhizic acid in liquorice was once guilty.
“We’re instructed that this affected person has a deficient nutrition and eats numerous sweet. May just his sickness be associated with sweet intake?” Dr Elazer R Edelman mentioned.
He mentioned research had proven glycyrrhizic acid – the energetic component in liquorice – may purpose “high blood pressure, hypokalemia, metabolic alkalosis, deadly arrhythmias, and renal failure” – all of that have been observed on this affected person.
Hypokalemia is when an individual’s potassium ranges of their blood turn into dangerously low.
The affected person had additionally not too long ago modified the kind of candies he was once consuming. A couple of weeks earlier than his demise, he switched from pink fruit-flavoured twists to any other kind made with black liquorice.
Some other physician, Dr Andrew L Lundquist, agreed within the document that the liquorice was once guilty.
He wrote: “Additional investigation printed a up to date trade to a liquorice-containing sweet because the most likely reason for his hypokalemia.”