In that blend are final yr’s nationwide champion, 3 new coaches and any other whose 10-year contract brings expectancies of a report higher than 17-Nine.
And there’s additionally No. Eight Auburn, the place any trainer is a two-game shedding streak clear of dealing with figurative pitchforks and torches. Thankfully for Gus Malzahn, he has two Iron Bowl victories previously 3 years to fall again on. However, weirdness is robotically baked in at Auburn.
Whilst the Tigers of the Plains invariably zig once they’re meant to zag, the Tigers of Dying Valley have nowhere to head however down after LSU’s dominant 15-Zero run. Heisman Trophy winner Joe Burrow is certainly one of 9 offensive starters long past from a yr in the past, a gaggle that integrated 3 first-round draft alternatives and can most definitely upload a fourth in 2021 with wideout Ja’Marr Chase opting out of this season. Toss in a protection with 3 returning starters, and there’s scant on-field continuity for final yr’s name winners. Issues will likely be somewhat other in Baton Rouge through default.
Does a non-juggernaut LSU open the door for a step forward season at No. 10 Texas A&M? Jimbo Fisher was once lured clear of Florida State to duplicate his luck in Tallahassee, however the Aggies below him are 1-Five in opposition to Alabama, Auburn and LSU thus far. That gained’t minimize it. Don’t search for sweeping conclusions this week; Vanderbilt can pay a discuss with to Faculty Station.
Then there’s the 3 new coaches. Sam Pittman is the training lifer in any case passed the keys to a task at a four-year faculty for the primary time at 58. The issue is that college is Arkansas, which has misplaced 19 SEC video games in a row and 23 of 27 total. Successful one or two video games — anyone or two video games — would trace at development in Fayetteville.
Then there’s the extraordinary couple of the Magnolia State. Lane Kiffin, 45, starts his 5th head training stint when Mississippi hosts Florida. The Rebels haven’t posted a profitable report since 2015, the second-longest drought within the league at the back of Vanderbilt. No matter method issues spread in Oxford in the following few years, it most definitely gained’t be carried out in uninteresting model.
Mike Leach, king of the pirates, took over at Mississippi State in January, charging again into the SEC for the primary time since he was once the offensive coordinator at Kentucky within the Tim Sofa technology. His weirdness will obtain a a ways better speedy target audience within the SEC than it ever did in far-flung locales similar to Texas Tech and Washington State.
So what does the trade imply? Within the quick time period, most definitely that Alabama will reclaim the department so long as everybody can in reality navigate a 10-game season. However over the lengthy haul, issues most definitely gained’t glance just like the SEC West of 2019.
5 with probably the most at stake
1. Florida State. The Seminoles had an open date after their blundering 16-13 loss to Georgia Tech, they usually’ll be with out first-year trainer Mike Norvell, who examined certain for the coronavirus, for a sport at No. 12 Miami. Florida State has dropped 3 in a row to Miami for the primary time since a six-game skid from 2000 to 2004, and a flat efficiency would give additional reason why to Florida State fanatics to jot down off this season.
2. Tennessee (and South Carolina, too). Trainer Jeremy Pruitt were given a two-year extension and a lift this week, which is swell for him and enviable to a variety of other people within the age of covid. However he additionally has some speedy expectancies to cope with. Tennessee must be the third-best crew within the SEC East, at the back of Georgia and Florida. That suggests it must care for a Gamecocks bunch coming off a Four-Eight season. However Tennessee hasn’t carried out a host of items it must have carried out over the last decade.
three. Cincinnati. Central Florida inspired in its 49-21 rout of Georgia Tech. Now it’s the Bearcats’ flip to hold the banner for the American Athletic. There’s a case to be made that No. 22 Military at No. 14 Cincinnati is the most productive sport of the weekend.
Four. Virginia Tech. Assuming the No. 20 Hokies make it onto the sphere for his or her not on time opener, they’ll most definitely be shorthanded in opposition to an N.C. State crew feeling respectable about itself after a 45-42 conquer Wake Woodland. There’s a large number of variables in play for Justin Fuente’s crew, however that is this type of sport it should snag if it’ll finally end up contending for an ACC name sport look.
Five. Auburn. Certainly one of faculty soccer’s nice annual mysteries is what route issues will pass at the Plains. Will or not it’s a type of contend-for-a-playoff-berth seasons or a create-endless-angst-with-three-losses-before-Halloween yr? The ones wacky Tigers, they simply stay you guessing … no less than till they welcome No. 23 Kentucky to Jordan-Hare for an early kickoff.
The SEC joins the joys this week and at the still-nascent Heisman Watch in any other seven days.
1. QB Trevor Lawrence, Clemson; 519 yards, 4 TDs passing. He’s nonetheless the favourite after a enjoyable 15-minute exercise in opposition to The Castle within the Tigers’ moment sport. Clemson is off this weekend. (Ultimate week: 1)
2. QB Sam Ehlinger, Texas; 426 yards, 5 TDs passing. After an open date following a pounding of Texas El Paso, Ehlinger and the Longhorns undertaking into Giant 12 play at Texas Tech. (LW: 2)
three. QB D’Eriq King, Miami; 469 yards, 4 TDs passing; 92 yards, 1 TD speeding. He had his method with Louisville’s restricted protection because the Hurricanes advanced to 2-Zero. He will get a moment consecutive prime-time date with Florida State coming to the town. (LW: 6)
Four. QB Brady White, Memphis; 280 yards, 4 TDs, 1 INT passing. White was once superb within the Tigers’ first sport in opposition to Arkansas State. The issue is it’s any individual’s wager once they’ll play their moment. Dates with Houston (final week) and Texas San Antonio (this week) have been referred to as off on account of virus issues. (LW: three)
Five. RB Travis Etienne, Clemson; 170 yards, 1 TD speeding; Four receptions, 58 yards. Etienne bears gazing just because Clemson will feed him carries when it has to. In opposition to Wake Woodland and The Castle, his products and services haven’t been required a lot past the primary part. (LW: Five)
6. QB Spencer Rattler, Oklahoma; 290 yards, 4 TDs passing. Now the joys starts for the redshirt freshman, who torched FCS Missouri State within the Sooners’ opener however faces Kansas State within the Giant 12 opener for each groups. (LW: Four)